Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas traditions

When was the first Christmas card sent? Why do we kiss under the mistletoe? Learn the origins of Christmas and fun facts about some of our favorite christmas traditions and symbols.
Christmas trees
 In 16th-century Germany fir trees were decorated, both indoors and out, with apples, roses, gilded candies, and colored paper. 
Mistletoe
Mistletoe was used by Druid priests 200 years before the birth of Christ in their winter celebrations. They revered the plant since it had no roots yet remained green during the cold months of winter.
The ancient Celtics believed mistletoe to have magical healing powers and used it as an antidote for poison, infertility, and to ward of evil spirits. The plant was also seen as a symbol of peace, and it is said that among Romans, enemies who met under mistletoe would lay down their weapons and embrace.
Scandanavians associated the plant with Frigga, their goddess of love, and it may be from this that we derive the custom of kissing under the mistletoe. Those who kissed under the mistletoe had the promise of happiness and good luck in the following year.
 Christmas cards
A form of Christmas card began in England first when young boys practiced their writing skills by creating Christmas greetings for their parents, but it is Sir Henry Cole who is credited with creating the first real Christmas card.

This year is the 2nd christmas since all my kidlets have flown the nest. somedays I feel like I really just want to skip christmas all together... but then I just can't. I love christmas. I love the lights and the tree, the cooking and family time.I love that my mom still gives me a stocking.. and that it is 
my favorite thing in the world to explore and find all the tiny goodies awaiting inside. but being a mother for more than half my life then going to be just a phone call on xmas is a little sad and hard.
So this year I am trying to find my Christmas spirit. I have been reminiscing about old Christmases.
& Im gonna share some of our traditions...
Nativity
My mother made this nativity when I was a baby for someone in her family. When I had my first baby, They said they had found it and gave it to me. This goes up every year. it is very special to me.
Christmas cards
I tried to have these made & printed by thanksgiving each year. I loved taking pics of my kidlets and
 making xmas cards & sharing them... okay I am a little biased becuase I have some amazing kids!
Laying under the christmas tree
 both my girls & my sister have a tradition of laying under the christmas tree with the lights on. Im not really sure why but they did it every year... But hey, Xmas lights are pretty magical so I can totally agree with the sentiment.
Christmas ornies
I don't know why I started this tradition but I have gotten my kids a special ornament every year.
Christmas Jammies
 There is one more gift that I would get my kids every year...Jammies. they weren't christmas specific just jammies. I don't remember how this started but these two gifts were always under the tree with the other wants & must haves lol
Letters from santa
Each year "Santa" would write my kids a letter sometimes they each got one individually & sometimes it was on for all of them.
Cookies & cocoa for Santa
You know santa needs fuel for his long night!
Reindeer food
Since those reindeer have to pull that sleigh all night they need fuel too... so we make them reindeer food. The kids mix oats with glitter ( so the reindeer can find the food) Then they sprinkle it on the ground.
Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
In my house when I was little we always opened gifts on Christmas Eve & then Santa gifts on Christmas Day.So that is how we did in in my house when I "grew up". Then on Christmas day we go to my moms house where my sister & her family go, and my brother... & hopefully next Christmas we will have my other brother kris there too! This Family time is my favorite part of the holidays. Eating my mommas food.Exchanging gifts. Visiting.. and always trying to get a picture for my mom of my sister and me and my brother... He's not very cooperative.

Well thank you for going down memory lane with me & sharing in my families tradition.
What are some of  your Christmas traditions?

Merry Christmas Ya'All!

No comments:

Post a Comment