Thursday, March 18, 2010

mad as a ... hatter

The Mad Hatter: There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter.
[picks up his hat]
The Mad Hatter: Which luckily I am.

I think after making all these hats I definitely am mad as a hatter ! lol
I started making these type of mini top hats last summer. But when my Daughter wanted a mad hatter bday, she wanted me to make everyone a hat. And they all had to be different.
These are really simple to make. I use the big pieces of the harder felt from hobby lobby. I have a pattern that I have custom made to fit the size I want. I use an old candle to fit the form around and glue the edges of the round hat part. Then I start the tedious and painful I might add task of hand sewing it all together. Sew the top on , then down the seam, and finally the brim on.
Next comes the fun stuff...decorating them.
And finally hand sewing the tiny little hair clips to the bottom so the hat will stay in place.
But let me just tell you. my fingers look like pin cushions.. no seriously. I am constantly stabbing that little needle into my fingers. and sending Kourtney to go get me a bandaid so I don't get blood on the hats.lol... And besides I am a big baby when it comes to needles.
So anyways... here are my hats. I am pretty proud of them. After xmas they had some really neat pins at walmart, my mom and I picked out one for her, me , kourt, and my sister...
So the blue hat is my moms, the brown and pink one is mine, the purple hat with the purple heart is my daughters (she picked all the ribbons ect.), and the bluish green hat is my sisters.
I think my favorite turned out to be my sisters. I love the colors together, and I really like the 2 strands of beads that go from the top to the decorations....
So anyways ...
Enjoy!
You can click on the pics to enlarge and see a better view. I also made scrapbook pages that way I didnt have to put all the pics up individually. The kit I used was ...of course.. Alice from britt-ish designs.



XOXO
Tink
Believing is only the beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment