Monday, October 13, 2014

Make it monday! quote the raven.... "Nevermore" wreath

 “Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door —
Only this, and nothing more."

NEVERMORE
I have always liked the dark gothic novels of Edgar allen poe. And I love vintagey things.
So when I found this awesome wreath on pintrest. I knew I had to make it..
Yes I had to!

click on picture to go to the original blog post about this.
Here's whatcha need:
Supplies:
 an old book you can destroy
twine
a styrofoam wreath
spanish moss
fake crow
branch
spiders(I used those rings, just cut off the ring part) *optional 
ribbon to hang
Tools: 
scissors
glue gun
 ~ I bought my book from the goodwill it was $2 but was half off so I got it for a buck. I picked one that was old looking and had a murder them to it. but unless someones going to analyze it you can just use an old book. I am an avid reader lover of books. So I had to give a few seconds of silence before I started ripping pages out. I got the twine, the crow and the moss from my dollar tree. The spiders I got at walmart and the branch from my yard... living in the middle of nowhere surrounded by woods has its perks sometimes.
The first thing your gonna do is rip out ALOT of pages. I ripped them out so theyd have a ripped edge but you can cut them if you like. Next your going to roll the page kinda wide rolls. Then your gonna 
glue the bottom to the middle part of the wreath.Do this all the way around. When you get all the way
around flip the wreath over and place something heavy on the wreath to kinda flatten the pages.
After a little bit take off the heavy object and do the same thing to this side. when your done, flip it over and place heavy object on it again.
Next your gonna take the pages and glue them so they cover the inside part of the wreath. I glued the middle part then put some glue on one side then the next so that they lay a little flatter. ( dont glue all the way you want some of it to flare out a little.. see pic) Do this all the way around.
Now you want to make little scrolls out of pages. You will need three scrolls per cluster. How ever many clusters depends on how full you want your wreath covered. this is just a trail and error kinda thing.
did I mention that I think I may not have any fingerprints left after continuously getting hot glue on them.
To make the scrolls just roll up the paper kinda tight ( I made some tighter than others and on some I rolled them not completely straight) I hot glued a little strip across top and glued them together.
 I then took two scrolls put some glue up one side of one and put them together, then I put a little glue up the middle and placed the third scroll in the middle.
After all of these were done, I took twine and wrapped and tied the scroll clusters.
After you are completely tired of making little scrolls , you will start gluing them on your wreath. How you want to do this is up to you.
After all the scrolls are on the way you like them. take your branch and hot glue it to the front and through the wreath to the back . Next hot glue your crow to the branch.
Now for all those little spiders. put a little hot glue dab on the middle part of their backs and place them however you want them.
To make your holder take some ribbon and hot glue and then use straight pins to reinforce the  ribbon to the back at the top back of the wreath...

It's all in the details...
and your DONE!
Now go hang that sucker!
 
I'd love to see any halloween projects you have made leave me a comment to check them out.
until next week...
Happy Crafting Ya'All!

No comments:

Post a Comment