Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"When you look at a cupcake, you've got to smile." ~ Anne Byrn

Yep I am posting about...CUPCAKES.. yummy!
I have decided to try to make a new cupcake every week. My son riley has been helping me pick out which ones to make... so far he has had good choices... since Iam late posting these I am going to post all the ones I have made so far... and yes Im going to tempt you with a picture... to bad they havent invented smellevision yet ! hehe

So the first cupcakes we made were Easter. My husband got me this awesome cupcake magazine from better homes and gardens from Lowes.. yeah I know who knew you could get recipe magazines from a home builder place ..oh well makes it a little more tolerable to have to go in and look at tools lol. anyways, I tried to find a link online but couldn't so here's a picture of it

It has some great recipes in it.

Anyways so we chose to make birds nest cupcakes. i thought they sounded good and they looked too dang cute for easter.

so here is the recipe: Ingredients
*1cp butter *4 eggs *2 3/4 cp cake flour *2 tsp baking powder *1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp salt * 1 8oz carton sour cream * 1/3 cp orange juice *1 tbsp finely grated lemon peel
*2tbsp lemon juice * 1 1/4 cup sugar *1 recipe for citrus frosting(see recipe below) or 1 1/2 cup other frosting *6 oz vanilla candy coating *4 cups chow mein noodles *1/2- 2/3 cups (about 84) pastel colored egg type candy

Instructions:
1.Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temp for 30 min. Line 28 2 1/2 inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In medium bowl stir together cake flour, baking powder and soda,and salt. In a small bowl combinesour cream, lemon juice, orange juice,and lemon peel. set aside.
2.preheat oven to 350 F. In a very large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. gradually add sugar about 1/4 cup at a time.beat on medium for 3 minutes or til light and fluffy, scrapping side of bowl every once in a while. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. alternately add flour mix, and sour cream mix to butter mix. eat on a low speed just til combined.
3.spoon batter into prepared baking cups, filling each about 3/4 of the way.Use the back of the spoon to smooth batter into cups.
4.Bake for 15-17 min. or til toothpick comes out clean. cool cupckaes in muffin cups on wire rack for 5 minutes.Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Frost cupcakes with citrus frosting (or outher). In small microwave safe bowl microwave candy coating for 30 seconds on high. stir, microwave for 20 -30 secs.or until candy is completely melted. In a large bowl combine chow mein noodles and the melted candy coating. shape chow mein into "nests" on top of each cupcake.
6. add candy eggs to each nest
~ makes 28 cupcakes
Citrus frosting: in a medium bowl stir together ones 16oz can cream cheese or vanilla frosting and 1/2 tsp shredded lemon peel.


Okay you got all that... thats what the recipe said to do. When I went to the store I saw how much more cake flour was so, I decided to buy a white cake mix.....silly me.
I followed the cake mix but added the orange juice the lemon peel and the lemon juice. I made the cupcakes... and when they came out of the oven they were kinda flat... and they didnt want to come out of the baking paper... but they were sure yummy. I actually started crying . no kidding...
Okay so back to the drawing board. I needed to hurry and get these cupcakes made, so I found a yellow cake mix in the pantry...
Yes i made the yellow cake.
I also used white ghiradelli chocolate chips instead of the vanilla candy coating. thats cuz our walmart had all sorts of color except white for the candy coating. We really liked the taste of the chow mein with the chocolate. It was almost like a chocolate covered pretzel but with a different taste. I dont know but it was sooo good. We also bough the malt ball robin eggs candy. and I made the citrus frosting.
So after all the trouble it was still good. but I think next time I will just follow the directions lol
and here is our creation! Okay the kids like to say they helped, but really you can't count eating the leftover frosting ect as helping lol.

week one ..done =)


No comments:

Post a Comment