Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Make it monday... Yummy amazing heaven in your mouth pina coloda poke cake!

It's another Make it Monday!
(okay I know it's a day late)
While I pintrest I saw this cake and knew I just had to make it.
Just look at that yummy goodness! How could you not want to try it????
Pineapples, coconut, cherry = YUM!
The tutorial can be found HERE by Kitchen meets girl (ps.. shes got alot of yummy recipes so go follow her on pintrest!)

Okay so here we goooooooo....
Recipe is at the bottom. Let me just tell you a little about making this cake. I work at walmart so I figured ohh it won't be hard to find the ingredients... I came to the spice/cake mix aisle and found coconut milk.. no cream. Talked to one of the stockers. she told me to go look in the asian section... nope... I did indeed find it in a small section with the alcohol stuff, hidden among margarita salt & grenadine... Score... I was worried I wouldn't be able to make one :(

My cake was a little raised in the middle so when I poured that coconut concoction over it alot went to the corners leaving stuff on top after the rest had soaked up..  so note to self.. and you...poke alot of holes, and maybe pour more in the middle than on the edge... it turned out yummy still just wasnt all in the cake lol.

It is going to be really hard to put that yummy looking cake in the fridge & wait allllllll night long. Trust me it will be worth it.. but it will be calling your name all night. Resist the urge. I actually let mine sit all day to cuz I wanted it for dessert.. Oh the agony.

I opted for the making your own whipped cream cuz I wanted to add the coconut extract... So i am going to admit to having a small teensy weensy breakdown at this point. As most of you know I have cancer & take chemo. It makes me weak and my muscles ache...well I started whipping my heavy cream.. and it just wasn't doing anything. My hubby asked me if I wanted help.. But I am a big girl.. and I did not want to admit defeat.. besides I have never had to ask for help before...ugh... I started bawling.. he helped lol. We did end up getting the hand mixer.. it worked much better. I put 2 tbsp of powdered sugar in and I think it could have used more. but after eating it with the cake it really didnt matter all the ingredients combined made it just so!
I tried a bite... and ..was...in... HEAVEN!!!!! Oh my goodness, it was amazing.. I was loving kitchen meets girl for introducing and sharing this yummy peice of heaven on earth. Im guessing hubby liked it too.. becuase he is supposed to be on a diet but ended up eating two.. yes 2 peices.. men!

Now for a little payback. My boss and sweet friend Marie made some cake and brought some to work for me and my friend Tori... I got off at 7 that day instead of later like usual... so Tori got both peices of my cake... Not only did she eat both of them.. she posted it on facebook, teasing me.. so guess who's getting 2 peices of cake today? I may even post a little pic on facebook for her... Mwahahahahahaah okay maybe not i love my friends and they are great . they have helped get me through some rough times... so maybe I will play nice and bring them both one.... maybe ;)

If you decide to make one of these yummy amazing wonderful cakes.. please share a link with me, I'd love to see! 

Happy crafting Ya'all



    For the Cake:
  • 1 box butter cake mix, plus ingredients to make cake
  • 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 15-ounce can cream of coconut (NOT coconut milk) - this can usually be found in the drinks/mixers aisle of your local grocery store
  • 1 15.25-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
  • For the Topping:
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons powdered sugar (sweeten to your preference)
  • 1 teaspoon coconut extract
  • shredded coconut and maraschino cherries, to garnish if desired
Instructions
  1. Prepare and bake cake in a 9x13 pan according to package directions. While your cake is baking, mix together the reserved pineapple juice, sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut until smooth.
  2. Immediately after removing your cake from the oven, use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the top of the cake. Pour the milk mixture over the top of the warm cake, making sure to get it down into the holes. The cake will appear very saturated, but that's okay. Evenly spread the reserved crushed pineapple all over the top. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
  3. To make the topping:
  4. Beat cream vigorously by hand with a whisk or using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer. When the cream starts to thicken, add in the powdered sugar and coconut extract. Continue beating until soft peaks form. You may also use Cool Whip if you wish. Garnish cake with shredded coconut and maraschino cherries.
  5. Keep cake covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment